Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolution Part 3 - Spirit

Getting caught up with the mundane details of just making it through any particular day will often cause a “taking-God-for-granted” syndrome to take over our spiritual relationship with God. At least this has been my experience during these 67 years of life.

Over the years I have followed numerous spiritual disciplines, but at best it has always resulted in a “hot-cold” type of journey. It was “hot” when I was leading, sharing and/or teaching a small group, Sunday school class or the entire church down a particular path, such as Disciple Bible Study, 40 Days of Purpose, Purpose Driven Life or Experiencing God ... and, cold when I was left to my own devices.

Since retirement I have become rather “sloppy” in many aspects of my life. Even my outward appearance has changed in that on a normal day you will find me in a pair of cargo shorts. I wear them everywhere except to church on Sunday. The conviction included the thought that my outward appearance reflects my inward condition.

For some unknown reason I never included my spiritual life while making New Year’s resolutions. Yet, when I came under conviction this time, this particular aspect was as strong as the other two, i.e. I needed to address the totality of my journey.

Therefore, Part 3 of my New Year’s resolution deals with the Spirit:
1. Using an old book from my library, “Abundant Life” by E. Stanley Jones I will begin each morning intentionally with God.
2. I will keep a prayer journal following the discipline of John Wesley – to discover what God is doing in and around Jim Martin more than what Jim Martin is doing for God.
3. Continue to keep at the forefront of my prayer life, “Put me to doing what you are blessing.” This IS the one spiritual discipline that I have truly been faithful in following.
4. Use Yoga as a daily meditation method to center my life and thinking on God.
5. Be more intentional in upgrading my outward attire.

Quote for today: “Everyone has an inner voice; you just have to listen to it and trust it in order to be led by it. I did that, and it gave me the ability to live a life that’s true to who I am.” Sissy Spacek

No comments:

Post a Comment