Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Resolution Part 2 - Mind

It had been said to me more than once, while a student in seminary, "Martin, if you ever got serious about seminary you would be seriously dangerous!" I didn't apply myself then and now that I've retired I have had a relapse! Well, as I have admitted, self-discipline is not one of my strengths. This has resulted in my mind becoming rather "mushy" since retirement.

The imposed disciplines of ministry are simply not present in retirement. There are not the requirements of reading and preparation to deliver a weekly sermon, teach Bible studies, lead small groups, organize and guide the various leadership groups, and/or keep ahead of those being counseled. My mind has become "mushy".

Those who know me know that I love to read. Most of my adult life I have had usually 4 books being read at the same time - one in the office, home study, family room and the night stand. Since retirement I've chosen to do nothing but recreational reading ... and then only 1 book at a time. Consuming novels has been a real joy, but not very challenging. The ultimate result is that a rather strong library, built over 30 years, has basically gone untouched. My mind has become "mushy".

A promise that I had made to myself - and to too many others - was to write. Concepts, ideas and stories have sat right where I have left them, in the back of my brain gathering dust and growing cobwebs. Procrastination became the activity of choice when it came to the discipline of writing ... and I understand it is a real discipline. My mind has become "mushy".

Therefore Part 2 of my New Year's Resolution deals with my "mushy" mind:
1. To balance my reading between novels and more serious reading.
2. To daily pick up the pen (actually the computer key board and word processor) and spend some serious time organizing my thoughts into a written form.
3. To continue this reflective thinking process called "blogging" regardless if anyone reads it or not.
4. To play Scrabble more regularly with my spouse (instead of watching TV).
5. To begin to audit some college classes at the local state college.

Quote for today: "The child has much to teach us - about the sense of wonder and infinite possibility, the capacity for forgiveness. When we were young, we didn't need a road map, compass or timepiece. The miraculous was our reality." Cristina Carlino

2 comments:

  1. Reverend Martin,

    In regards to item 3, don't assume that, just because we don't post a comment everyday, that no one reads this. I am sure I am not the only lurker here.

    William Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you are not the only "lurker", Mr.Carroll! There are at least 2 of us who are enjoying Jim's blog!

    ReplyDelete