Monday, December 28, 2009

Coming under conviction

Coming under conviction is never easy, but it cannot (or should not) really be ignored. Conviction is a gentle nudging of God to bring about change in one's spiritual journey.

Over the last month I've become more convicted that I need to be intentional in managing my life instead of simply sitting back and going with the flow. Actually it is the discipline of writing this daily blog that brought on this conviction. I've always known that what you don't control, controls you.

I will have to admit that self-discipline has never been one of my long suits. Oh, I've always worked hard, but out of a need to be a "people pleaser" or the need to be "accepted" I've allowed the expectations and/or needs of others to somewhat control my life. Further, as I slipped into retirement, I've become lazy in all aspects of my life. In truth, I was not being a good steward of the life that God has given me. Therefore the conviction that something needed to be done.

Within this conviction was the challenge to worship God with my body, mind and spirit. Focusing on those three aspects of my God given life will be the areas of my New Year's resolutions for 2010. Within the next three days I will try to be more specific about each of those concepts.

I've kind of been down this road before, but what is different this time is that I'm making it public via this blog. An added commitment (and it is already on my daily calendar) is to keep you informed concerning my success or failure about this commitment. The first day of each month I will post the results.

Consider joining me in this spiritual journey for 2010!

Quote for today: "If things are tough, remember that every flower that ever bloomed had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there." (Barbara Johnson)

No comments:

Post a Comment