Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sacrifical love - a lenten journey of sorts

During morning devotions I’ve been thinking and praying about the sacrifice Jesus made in his last journey here on earth. I’ve been trying to come to gripes about the magnitude of such a sacrifice, as well as some deeper understanding of its impact upon me personally. I came across this story that has helped me a little in my search. It caused me to pause to ask myself deeper questions: What am I willing to give up, sacrifice, for those I love? Would I be willing to make such a sacrifice for individuals that I did not know? Or, even harder, people that I do not necessarily like? The first question was easily to answer, the second one I’m still thinking about and the “jury is still out” concerning how I would respond, if at all, to the third one. These are hard questions during this introspective season of Lent.

There was a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her. She told her boyfriend, 'If I could only see the world, I will marry you.'

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend.

He asked her, 'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?' The girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The sight of his closed eyelids shocked her. She hadn't expected that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life led her to refuse to marry him.

Her boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.'


Lord, be in my mind and in my understanding; be in my emotions and in my response with those around me; be in my commitments and in my desires. Amen

Quote for today: “Do not waste your time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor act as if you did. As soon as we do this, we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less." C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment