Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mixed feelings about Black History Month

Every February I am conflicted. During this particular month our young men and women observe Black History Month and I struggle with a set of mixed emotions.

A part of me celebrates this emphasis. There is just so much that has been long ignored and we are lesser for it. After 12 years in elementary, junior and senior high school; after 5 years of college and 3 years in a master’s program – I know only what I have pursued on my own. The study of Black History is long over due.

Another part of me cringes at the idea of such an emphasis.
· It is regrettable that such an emphasis has to be mandated from “on high” to become a part of the standard curriculum.
· It is regrettable that the desire to know the contribution of a large portion of our society is not a natural desire.
· It is regrettable that the study of Black Americans is relegated to just one month.
· It is regrettable that other ethnic groups are relegated to simple footnotes – especially the Native Americans.
· It is regrettable that after many years of having this emphasis we still have huge amounts of racial hatred and misunderstanding spreading its ugliness throughout our society.

When will we grow up as a society and begin to treat each other as God expects us to see his beloved creation?

Dear Lord, take away my feelings of inadequacy so that I might accept my fellow human beings as equals. Amen.

Quote for today: “History is the record of an encounter between character and circumstance.” Donald Creighton

1 comment:

  1. I hear you...

    In a similar way (although quite different), I have mixed feelings about having "Youth Sunday" once a year in church. Shouldn't every Sunday be for youth, not to mention for children and adults, too? I guess whenever everything is emphasized, then nothing is emphasized...

    ReplyDelete