Thursday, February 18, 2010

Running the race

NASCAR is up and running again. You might not pay attention to these “weekend” events… but, it does get my blood flowing. I won’t be “glued” to the TV, but a good portion of my “down” time is spent watching the races.

In retrospect, it does seem a little ridiculous … consuming hours watching a bunch of grown men spending millions of dollars to run around in a circle … until you “hook-up” with a particular driver. Then, you have someone to root for. You have gained an identity by association. You live vicariously through the driver. They win you win!

Do you not feel some exhilaration when the USA athletes win a gold, silver or bronze medal during the Winter Olympics Games? Those young men and women are racing and winning for us … for me! Yeah, team!

As I gear myself up for another exciting year of NASCAR racing (especially since “my” driver Mark Martin is still racing) I am aware of a correlation between the life we live and the races we watch.

In life, we have a tendency to run around in circles … faster and faster and faster we go always thinking that we are making great time. We are not really sure where it is we are heading or why, just that somehow this is what we are “suppose” to do because “everyone” else is “running” the same race.

Running around in circles, heading who knows where, we are spending a lot of time and money. Not really sure for what … just that this is what is “expected” from us and because that really is what everybody else IS doing therefore, it must be correct. Right?!?

Who are we “running” for? Ourselves? Others? God? And why are we running? To gain purpose or meaning in our life?

I don’t know about you, but I keep hearing “old tapes” from childhood. My “tapes” talk about “what other people might think” and something about “starving children in China.” Do you hear something similar?

My “tapes” define my “running” and it is extremely hard to re-program my mind and spirit to listen to God’s “tape” … allowing His words to define my purpose and direction.

So there’s the choice: “old tapes” producing running in circles and getting nowhere fast vs. God’s “tape” which produces meaning and purpose and direction. The choice isn’t hard to make, but getting this “old dog” to learn a “new” trick and redirect my energy is … except when I rely on God’s Spirit to do it for me.

Here’s to running a great race!

Quote for today: “Life by the yard is hard--by the inch it's a cinch.” Source unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment