Thursday, February 25, 2010

Revelations of introspection

Interesting time this season of Lent … a time of introspective thinking. Introspection is not something that we do naturally … especially as adults. We, or should I simply state, I would rather not spend a whole lot of time taking stock of my inner mental, emotional and spiritual state of being. I would much rather just get on with living – after all I am retired which is suppose to be a time of enjoying the various activities that life can lay at my front door.

The introspective time of Lent is like going to the doctor for your annual check-up. The doc will run you through a full battery of tests probing you where you would rather not be probed! Taking blood samples, asking revealing questions, having you stand before him in a somewhat embarrassing pose – nothing is hidden, no place to hid, just hanging out there for the doc to see all and know all … introspective!

Then the reports start coming in. Do I really want to know what they reveal? Well, there is a disease, like a cancer that needs to be removed via painful surgery. The chances are good for survival, actually the doctor can guarantee a 100% survival rate, but dealing with the pain, rehab, and besides, I have lived with this “disease” this long why not a bit longer – after all it will not kill me so why change now?

The doc does share that he has a better life in store for me, a full life, an abundant life, but it will require getting rid of this disease and going on a diet, spiritual in nature, that he has designed. Because of free will the doc simply waits for me to make the decision.

He is a very patient doctor because he has revealed this same disease on other Lenten spiritual examinations. Will this be the year for change?

Quote for today: “Everybody thinks of changing Humanity and Nobody thinks of changing Himself.” L. Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment