Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The power of desire

Desire is a highly motivating factor within the psychic of some human beings. Desire is a powerful emotional driving force that can bring about unbelievable results.

A grandfather, in the Hudson community, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in February of that year. The doctors gave him less than a month or so to live. Upon receiving the prognoses he said, “Well, doc I don’t think that I can keep your date with destiny. My wife and I are planning to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary a year April. She has threatened me that I better not leave this earth until we have that celebration because there has just been too much work already done in making the plans. And then I have a granddaughter who will be graduating from high school the following June. And then after that I am supposed to walk my other granddaughter down the aisle at her wedding in August. So I’m sorry doc I just cannot keep your appointment with death, at least not yet.”

And he didn’t. He lived to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary, the high school graduation and the wedding. And then, two days after the wedding he hugged everybody in the family, laid down and passed way. Desire is a powerful emotional driving force.

Between the Colts and the Saints I just think that the Saints were more motivated by desire. Desire is a powerful emotional driving force.

Tim Tebow has been highly criticized about his non-NFL level abilities, but they haven’t factored in his desire to play football at that level. A comparison has been made between Tebow and another University of Florida quarterback by the name of Danny Wuerffel. Danny also won the Heisman Trophy (1996) and was highly successful at the college level, but just couldn’t bring the same success at the professional level.

But, I believe that there is one big difference between these two young men … desire. Only time and a few seasons at the professional level of football will tell the true story. I know that many in Jacksonville, FL are hoping that the Jaguars will draft Tebow and maybe, just maybe their desires will translate into a decision when the draft takes place on April 22nd.

And then you have the story of Michael Jordan who was told that he would never make it as a basketball player.

Desire is a powerful emotional driving force. It often it determines the difference between success and failure.

Quote for today: “Attitude not aptitude determines altitude” Popular phase at high school and college commencement addresses a few years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment