Friday, April 16, 2010

God invitation to THE Dance!

In his weekly e-mail newsletter to the congregation our pastor, Jim Rosenberg, included the following statement:

Every week, Pam and I watch Dancing With the Stars. Since I am not a dancer and don't know the Fox Trot from the Rumba, it is fascinating to watch people that can't dance learn to dance. Some learn better than others! For some, it is like teaching a fish to walk on dry land. As the weeks go by, some get it and become dancers and others just never get it. The surprise is that the popularity of the star keeps a person dancing beyond the time when they should be voted off. It reminds me of Easter and the gift of grace. Even when we don't get it about God's love and our part in the drama of life, grace abounds and we don't get voted off. God keeps saying, "You can do better." I am thankful for a God that shows us grace and sends Jesus to take our place. When we deserve to get voted off, he brings us back for another week ... God wants you back and he has the big vote to cast in the decision.

This took on an entirely different meaning for me because of one of favorite hymns, “Lord of the Dance” by Sydney Carter. It is an Easter hymn. It is a hymn that I have tried to teach various congregations with mixed results. Usually the youth, young adults and a scattering of musicians loved it and the older adults shared their difficulty in singing it ... but, oh may, what a powerful message.

I danced in the morning when the world was begun
I danced in the Moon & the Stars & the Sun
I came down from Heaven & I danced on Earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth:

Chorus:
Dance then, wherever you may be
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said He!


I danced for the scribe & the pharisee
But they would not dance & they wouldn't follow me
I danced for fishermen, for James & John
They came with me & the Dance went on:

Chorus:

I danced on the Sabbath & I cured the lame
The holy people said it was a shame!
They whipped & they stripped & they hung me high
And they left me there on a cross to die!

Chorus:

I danced on a Friday when the sky turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body & they thought I'd gone
But I am the Dance & I still go on!

Chorus:

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the Life that'll never, never die!
I'll live in you if you'll live in Me -
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!

Chorus:

God invites each of us to dance the dance of a lifetime … even if we think we don’t have the rhythm or know the tune. It actually is rather easy because our dance partner is Jesus, the Lord of the Dance!

Quote for today: “Will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?” Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment