Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Back in the groove after surgery

To my regular readers – never really sure how many for the count varies between 4 to 89 - I apologize for not posting anything on the blog for the last several days. This past Friday I had foot surgery and though, it was initially going to be an out patient procedure, it turned into an “over-nighter” thanks to my usual violent reaction to receiving general anesthesia (never have done well with this). Plus, my guess is that I reacted extremely badly to the stuff that they gave me to keep me from trying to turn my stomach inside out. But I am now home, with specific instructions not to put any weight on my left foot for 6 to 8 weeks. OUCH!

All of this does remind me of an old sign seen on a church billboard which read: "Minor surgery is all surgeries experienced by others!" Amen to that!

For the first couple of days I was using a walker … I have a new appreciation for all those senior citizens who are forced to use that piece of medical equipment. Just a note – when you see someone using a walker be kind by giving them the right away, open the doors for them and offer assistance whenever possible. And please, never use a handicap parking space … Yes, I now have a temporary sign for my car. What I’ve discovered is that walkers are real hard on your shoulders (especially if you cannot put your weight down on your feet) and moving just a yard or two can be a real chore. You want to talk about getting your heart rate going this little exercise should be included at the YMCA! Yesterday, we picked up a little scooter for my left knee ... much, much better.

The other thing that I have discovered is sitting around with your foot 6-inches above your hip is very hard on someone who is active. Having a type-A personality hasn’t made it any easier. The other thing I am having a horrible time with is keeping my calorie intake under 1,200 per day. It doesn’t take much for your count to zoom past that important threshold for an inactive person.

But, anyway, I am back and with all that is happening in the world I have many thoughts and ideas to share. See you tomorrow … and thanks for reading!

Quote for today: “Contrary to what might be expected, I look back on experiences that at the time seemed especially desolating and painful with particular satisfaction. Indeed, I can say with complete truthfulness that everything I have learned in my 75 years in this world, everything that has truly enhanced and enlightened my experience, has been through affliction and not through happiness.” Malcolm Muggeridge

No comments:

Post a Comment