Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Day

And then God, looking at the vastness of space said, “Let there be…” and Brother Earth and Sister Sea brought forth all sorts of living things. The abundance and variety was beyond a person’s ability to catalog and count them all. And God said, “That is fantastic! Great job Brother Earth and Sister Sea. I like what has happened. What you have done is beautiful, but I’m lonely still.” And so, this mighty and powerful creating God, like a mammy bending over her baby, knelt down in the mud of the river bed and began to play with some clay until he had fashioned him a living being. Then he blew the breath of life, his life, power and mighty life, into the lungs of the Adom – the human being, male and female, became a living soul and it was morning and evening the first Earth Day. And it was very, very good!

Then God took the male and female Adom to the edge of the universe showing the humans all that he had created. This male and female marveled at the beauty of it all. Their breath was almost taken away by the lushness of the greens, the blueness of the sky and the wonder of the variety of all the living things. Then God said, like a playful child with a new plaything, “It’s all yours! You can have it all! I’ve made it all for you. I hope that you like what I’ve done for you? Go forth and have dominion over all that you see.”

“But wait,” said the Adom, “I don’t want to have dominion! I don’t like the responsibility. Actually, God, I really, really do not like the job description that you’ve written for being your created Adom. Is it possible to renegotiate the terms of this agreement? After all God, you didn’t consult us when you created everything. We didn’t have a say in the matter AND NOW WE ARE IN CHARGE?!? I don’t think so. Thanks, but no thanks! Here you can have it back!”

And yet, as God presented the beautiful Brother Earth and Sister Sea with all of their rich abundance to the male and female Adom he simply smiled saying, “Enjoy!” and shock his head at the silliness of the Adom’s refusal to accept the magnificent gift. God emphatically stated, “I have faith in you that you will grow into your responsibility. I am trusting that you will give it back to me in better condition than you received it when your time on Brother Earth is finished. I’ve created you with a tremendous mind and a caring spirit … use them … use them wisely. It’s all yours now!”

And it was morning and evening that second Earth Day and God said, “That’s good!” And he meant it, but the male and female Adom wondered at the wisdom of the creating God. Dominion? Wow, being a steward over all the creating God had made. Hmmm, they wondered, had the creating God lost his mind? Truly this most be some kind of cosmic joke, but the creating God just smiled and his laughter could be heard throughout the vastness of space. And it was morning and evening the third day …

Quote for today: “I place no value on anything I have or may possess, except in relation to the kingdom of God. If anything will advance the interests of the kingdom, it shall be given away or kept, only as by giving or keeping it I shall most promote the glory of Him to whom I owe all my hopes in time or eternity.” David Livingstone

No comments:

Post a Comment