Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finding a purpose in life

There are a few questions that I just cannot run away – no matter how hard I try. The question that causes me to pause is, “Why am I here? What is my purpose in life?” I kind of backed into my struggle with the “purpose” of living.

While serving as the senior pastor of First UMC, Gainesville it hit me one Wednesday evening in an unexpected way. Every 5th Wednesday evening the youth sponsored a Spaghetti Supper as means to raise money for one project or another. As a parent who had a child in the group I volunteered. So there I was in the kitchen, with cole slaw up to my elbows when someone comes in to inform me that the woman’s toilet was backed up. Our evening custodian had been given the night off because of his sick wife so I turned to the associate pastor and the youth director, who were just standing around talking, and asked one of them to see what they could do to fix the problem. Both of them said, in unison, “I don’t think so. It’s not in my job description!”

That is when I decided to implement something that I had been struggling with for many months. We would eliminate job descriptions and go to mission statements answering the more difficult question: “Why has God placed you on this particular church staff at this particular time in history?” In other words, what is your purpose here at the church … not what is your job. Well, the change wasn’t well received. It was a lot easier for a committee to tell people what their job was instead of determining what your own purpose was – especially in light of God’s call.

Another way to understand this was illustrated by Dr. Dale Turner when he told the following story: “John W. Gardner, founding chairman of Common Cause, said it's a rare and high privilege to help people understand the difference they can make -- not only in their own lives, but also in the lives of others, simply by giving of themselves. Gardner tells of a cheerful old man who asked the same question of just about every new acquaintance he fell into conversation with: ‘What have you done that you believe in and you are proud of?’ He never asked conventional questions such as "What do you do for a living?" It was always, "What have you done that you believe in and are proud of?"It was an unsettling question for people who had built their self-esteem on their wealth or their family name or their exalted job title.

“Not that the old man was a fierce interrogator. He was delighted by a woman who answered, ‘I'm doing a good job raising three children;’ and by a cabinetmaker that said, ‘I believe in good workmanship and practice it;’ and by a woman who said, ‘I started a bookstore and it's the best bookstore for miles around.’

‘I don't really care how they answer,’ said the old man. ‘I just want to put the thought into their minds. They should live their lives in such a way that they can have a good answer. Not a good answer for me, but for themselves. That's what's important.’"


I continue to struggle, even more so now in retirement, with an answer that makes sense. God will not leave me alone on this issue. Just this past Sunday, an usher stopped me on my way into worship, and asked, “Why are you retired? You should still be preaching every Sunday!” Good question for which I really didn’t have a good answer. And the struggle continues!

Dear Lord, give guidance and insight into a life driven by purpose. Amen

Quote for today: “A man without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder--a waif, a nothing, a no man. Have a purpose in life, and, having it, throw such strength of mind and muscle into your work as God has given you.” Thomas Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment