Thursday, March 25, 2010

Being blessed by others

God blesses us in some wonderful and unusual ways. One of the major blessings is with the great people that he brings into our lives. Some come for just a season, while others come and stay for a long time. Each one is a channel of blessing, as well as a means of blessing for them because God brought us into their lives also.

Yesterday, I was blessed by driving Al Konetzni for the American Cancer Society. Al is a Walt Disney Legend – an actual distinction granted to him by the Disney organization in 1999. He is 94 years old and such a warm and wonderful person. It was my honor to be able to drive him to his appointment. Al is still bringing joy through his artwork by using it to help abused and disadvantaged children. Because of his cancer he is starting to think that he might be able to lift the spirits of cancer patients via the same method.

A couple of years ago I was blessed by Mary H. (another American Cancer Society person). Mary didn’t have any great honors bestowed upon her and yet she was as tremendous as Al. What struck me as special about Mary was her spirit – against unbelievable odds and a cancer that wouldn’t or couldn’t be defeated – she persevered … always with a strong, positive attitude. It was a blessing to pick her up each day and to simply be in her presence. It was amazing to sit back and witness the way she “worked” the waiting room at the doctor’s office. She spoke to everyone, bringing cheer and happiness, as the spirit of God touched their lives through the conduit of Mary H.

Then there was Mrs. Thomas – my first shut-in in my first parish. Mrs. Thomas had crippling arthritis. It was so bad that she had been bedridden for the last 15 years. I had gone, in that first visit, to bring comfort and a little sunshine and came away with being the one who was comforted for I had the privilege of sitting in the presence of pure light of God through Mrs. Thomas. She had her own unique ministry. Every day, as her son left for work, he would place in her deformed hand a pencil. With that pencil she was able to make over 75 telephone calls to other shut-ins all through Carroll Country. If she didn’t get an answer she would then call the police department to go by and check on the other person. Mrs. Thomas was credited with saving numerous lives via her telephone reassurance program. She found purpose in living when others would have found defeat.

And then there was the little Catholic lady in Hudson that Mrs. Kirby, our elderly baby-sitter, had asked me to visit in the hospital. The lady had to have both of her legs removed because of cancer. I wasn’t sure what I would find when I entered her hospital room, but what I did find really surprised me. I was prepared to bring a sustaining word from God and a good word from scripture, but ended up being sustained by the incredible spirit of the patient. I approached the subject carefully about her double amputation only to have her say, as she lifted both of her stumps, “Pastor, this is the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Because of these two stumps I’ve been able to witness to more people about my relationship with Jesus Christ than all of my previous 81 years. I thank God every day for the tremendous opportunity that he has given to me.” What a blessing to be in her presence.

(to be continued tomorrow with more stories of other people sent from God)

Quote for today: One morning R.C. Chapman, a devout Christian, was asked how he was feeling. "I'm burdened this morning!" was his reply. But his happy countenance contradicted his words. So the questioner exclaimed in surprise, "Are you really burdened, Mr. Chapman?" "Yes, but it's a wonderful burden--it's an overabundance of blessings for which I cannot find enough time or words to express my gratitude!" Seeing the puzzled look on the face of his friend, Chapman added with a smile, "I am referring to Psalm 68:19, which fully describes my condition. In that verse the Father in heaven reminds us that He 'daily loads us with benefits.'" Source unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment