Thursday, March 11, 2010

The desire for "do overs"

Do you ever wish that there was a “do over” button for life? The two hand-held video games that live at our home have a “new game” button and so, if you simply don’t like the score or the direction the game is taking you just push the “new game” button and BINGO the past is past moving you on to something new. In golf you can take a mulligan and pretend the shot never happened.

Life doesn’t have a “new game” button nor does it allow anyone to take a mulligan – unfortunate. My youngest daughter though has a basic philosophy which goes something like this: “Just forget about it and move on. Cannot change what already has happened so why bother yourself with thinking about it. Just move on!” I wish I had her ability.

Wouldn’t it be great if our life was a giant white board – where our past could simply be easily erased – wiped clean – as if it never happened. But, unfortunately for most of us humans we play the game “what if” living with regret for having made or not made decisions in the past. We waste valuable time and energy imagining a world where our mistakes never took place.

Was it the biblical Paul who stated that we should forget what is in the past and press on to win the prize.

Here is to moving forward … I believe that this is called maturity?!?

Quote for today: “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am 50, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things -- including the fear of childishness and the desire to be grown-up.” C.S.Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment