Friday, May 13, 2011

The special relationship that exists between us and the True Shepherd as illustrated in 1 Peter 5:1-11

There are times in all of our lives that it feels that we are living in a foreign land ... a dessert even … a land that is barren, dried up, empty and forsaken. We feel that we have been cutoff from anything meaningful. No friends are insight. No hope rises on the horizon. Then we cry out to the only one who will listen … to the only one who has an answer … to the only one who holds the possibility of hope for us. We cry out and the True Shepherd hears our cries.

Scripture: 1 Peter 5:1-11
Here Peter writes instructions to the human shepherds who are responsible for God’s flock. We are to serve this flock with humility and care not looking after our own welfare, but what is best for the flock. If we are faithful in the task that is set before us God will bring the glory and we will be restored.

Reflection: We are always looking over our shoulders, especially when we are much younger, to see who is paying attention. “Look at me, daddy,” says our daughter or son. Even if they say nothing they still are looking out of the corner of their eyes to see if we are paying attention … because their world revolves around them. When we become adults the attention shifts or at least it should. We are not the center any longer. Life doesn’t revolve around us any longer. It is our responsibility to be the caregiver, the one who pays attention to the needs of others, whose focus is squarely on those around us, those that have been given over to our care. We are the shepherd or should I say, the under-shepherd. We are under the authority of the True Shepherd. The flock belongs to God, but he has entrusted it into our care. We are to be faithful in all matters and if there is any glory, any recognition, any honor to be received it will be God who brings it … no matter who might be looking at us while we serve God’s flock.

Prayer: There are times, O Lord, that I see only myself … my needs, my wants, my wishes, my desires … to the detriment of the responsibility that you have given to me. I have failed you. I failed your flock. I failed to be faithful. Please forgive me and restore me to your Promised Land. In the name of Jesus the restorer. Amen.

Further reflection from Together in Solitude by Douglas V. Steere
“Ministers of the gospel have many occupational hazards and diseases and these have frequently been diagnosed with telling power. But all too seldom have the ministers been reminded of the unmatched spiritual opportunity that has been almost uniquely lavished on them by God, namely the opportunity of being confronted hour after hour with human problems that are utterly beyond their own strength to unravel, and which drive them back to listen for, and to draw upon a deeper wisdom and strength than they are able in themselves to supply. How often are ministers drawn back into the supernatural life of God, back into what Tauler calls ‘suffering in God’ by their own weakness and the sheer abysmal personal needs of those who call on them for help?”

The Struggle: The scriptures and the reflective reading hit at the heart of my own journey. Ministry is a constant reminder for me of my own failings and shortcomings. It continues to be a source that illustrates my inadequacy. I was raised in an environment that instilled in me to be “the problem solver,” “the one with answers,” “the take charge person”. Over and over and over again being in ministry simply reminds me of my “inhumanness” … less than God had created me to be. So, once again I am picking up the responsibility of pasturing a church. Once again I am having the mantle of shepherd placed upon my shoulders. Once again I am accepting the duties to be the one who stands in the gap for a people. Once again … I do it with great trepidation because I know my own inadequacies. The struggle is to keep my spirit focused on God, giving him the glory for all things and in all things. I must rely on him for all things and keep my ghosts of failure buried in the scriptures and under the blanket of prayer. I need the True Shepherd’s help to keep my eye on the prize and run this race with a faithful heart.

Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us –attr. to Dorothy A. Thrupp
Early let us seek thy favor,
Early let us do thy will.
Blessed Lord and only Savior,
With they love our bosoms fill.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast loved us, love us still.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast loved us, love us still.

No comments:

Post a Comment