Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 2 of struggling with the ramifications of God as the Good Shepherd

God is our shepherd. Slowly that sinks in. Israel came to see God as their shepherd. The early followers of Jesus saw Jesus as their shepherd. We are motivated to seek out a good shepherd, but to do that means that we are in a position to hear his voice, realize his protection and agree to his presence in our life. The good shepherd’s voice is known to the sheep, his staff is calming and as he walks among us we can live with the calming assurance of his shadow upon our backs and the sound of his footsteps is pleasing to our ears.

Scripture: Ezekiel 11:14-21
Ezekiel proclaims a word from God to the scattered people of Israel. It is a word of restoration. It is a word of promise. It is a word of faithfulness. It is word that the people will once again be gathered together in the Promised Land and God will be their God.

Reflection: The Psalm for this week (Psalm 80) also has an overriding theme of restoration. It is easy to get lost in this world. Our attention is demanded by competing sources. Our energy is divided among a variety of activities and we remain tired. The news media brings the constant stream of information to our attention and we are overwhelmed. The 24/7 of life almost becomes more than we can honestly deal with. Our souls cry out for a shepherd, for one voice that makes sense, for a single source of possibility and purpose. It is easy to get lost in this world. There is a desire to be restored … to restore some sense of purpose … to restore a standing among the people … to restore a sound foundation in world that appears to be coming apart. We need a shepherd. We need and desire a good shepherd!

Prayer: Gracious Parent, you know me better than I know myself. I am painfully aware that I need your guidance, your shepherding. Restoration sounds good, but that means you demand and expect my 24/7 attention, commitment, surrender and loyalty. Help me from going astray. Amen.

Further reflection from Six Hours One Friday by Max Lucado
“And though God’s people often forgot their God, God didn’t forget them. He kept his word…. He never gives up. When Joseph was dropped into a pit by his own brothers, God didn’t give up. When Moses said, ‘Here I am, send Aaron,’ God didn’t give up. When the delivered Israelites wanted Egyptian slavery instead of milk and honey, God didn’t give up.”

The Struggle: I am my own man. I’ve worked hard to achieve my independence. I longed for it. I prayed for it. I wished for it … and all the while I’ve prayed for your will, your purpose, your direction … and when it comes I begin to question the wisdom of what I asked for because I have to give up being my own person, my independence. I don’t’ do that easily thus the struggle that causes me to lose sleep (I am back into my sleep for 4 hours, up for 2 and then back down for 2 cycle). As the plaque that my wife gave me several years ago states: Give God the night shift. I have to learn to trust the shepherd as he is the one who restores, he is the one who gathers, he is the one who brings success … he is the shepherd.

Like a Shepherd Lead Us – attr. to Dorothy A. Thrupp
We are thine, do thou befriend us,
Be the guardian of our way;
Keep thy flock, from sin defend us,
Seek us when we go astray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear, O hear us, when we pray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear, O hear us, when we pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment