Friday, June 25, 2010

Say no to racism

While watching the FIFA World Soccer games I’ve been touched by a particular ad, which has the tagline: “Say no to racism.” Growing up in the 50s meant that I grew up in a racially divided America, but somehow – cannot really explain it – it never made a lot of sense to me.

I can remember one particular day, while shopping at Shell’s City (a huge box store in Miami), and asking my mother about the two drinking fountains – one for whites and one for colored. She gave some quick answer … cannot remember what it was … but I do remember walking away from the drinking fountains thinking, “That’s stupid.”

Over the course of my life and ministry I continue to run across individuals who have extremely strong opinions about race. They hate the fact that we have a black president among other things. As the economy and housing market continues their downward spiral those feelings are getting stronger and I find myself wondering why … after all this is 2010 … shouldn’t we be beyond all that foolishness. You would think wouldn’t you?

And then I look inside of myself. While I attempt to treat everybody the same and take some pride in my position on race and racism, I do have to admit that I see color when I look at another individual … it might not be the first thing I see, but nevertheless I do acknowledge a person’s race within that first meeting … and I do lock the doors of my car when driving through certain neighborhoods.

To achieve the “say no to racism” ideal I must first start with myself. I must eradicate all indications – regardless how small – from own thinking before pointing the finger at others. We have come a long way from the days and events of the 50s, but we sure still have a long way to go before we achieve a "no racism" society. I probably won’t see it in my lifetime, but I still hold out hope that it will be realized in America. Maybe someday we will see all humans as God sees them … and he created them male and female and said, “That’s good!” (Genesis)

Quote for today: Two apples up in a tree were looking down on the world. The first apple said, "Look at all those people fighting, robbing, rioting -- no one seems willing to get along with his fellow man. Someday we apples will be the only ones left. Then we'll rule the world." Replied the second apple, "Which of us -- the reds or the greens?" Gene Brown in Danbury, Con., News-Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment