Friday, June 11, 2010

Children and our responsibility

I’ve been thinking of children lately. Maybe because we are taking care of our granddaughter while our daughter is off for a continuing education experience. Maybe because we are anticipating and planning for our second grandchild to arrive in August. Or, maybe just because.

Being just a little bit prejudice, but I, like most grandparents, thinks that our granddaughter is probably one of the smartest, cutest little young lady you would ever wish to meet. But, in retrospect, it could be a little bit on how she is being raised. We read a lot of books to her, we limit the amount of TV she gets to see to about a half an hour, there is tons of affirmation and hugs, and her parents, especially her daddy, use bath time to communicate directly with her for you see they cannot learn unless you first get their attention. Plus, there is a lot of “please” and “thank yous” sent her way as we request her to do something. She really is something else.

Then it dawned on me as I watered my plants (my hobby) that I get good results from what I grow based on what I choose to put on them. If I don’t do anything most of them will die. If I only give them water they will grow, but not necessarily well. If I choose to fertilize them with a standard, common fertilizer they will thrive and even flower, but they will fail to reach their full potential. BUT … if I use Peter’s for my orchids and Miracle Grow, including potting soil, for all of my other plants they will be real happy and bloom better than anything that I could imagine.

Children are more important than mere plants and yet, too many times, we provide more care and attention to growing our plants than we do to our precious little ones who God has given to us … entrusted to our care … to assist them into growing up to be effective and contributing adults. Our approach is more about trying to control our children instead of growing them into there full potential.

I am thankful every day for our two daughters who have grown up to be fantastic adults … in spite of any input from their own day (unfortunately, I was more into control than shaping), I am thankful every day for the beautiful and smart granddaughter that has brought incredible joy into our lives and anticipate with a sense of great expectations to holding a new grandson. I am thankful every day for our daughter and her husband and the fantastic parenting job that they are doing in raising her. I am thankful every day for the exciting and loving relationship that our other daughter has with our granddaughter. Family is truly priority #1. May God continue to give us all the guidance and wisdom in raising the children placed into our sphere of influence.

Quote for today: Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression. Unknown source

No comments:

Post a Comment