Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Headstrong vs. heart-strong

Let me share some selected quotes from, In the Twilight, In the Evening by Lynn and Gilbert Morris … because confession is good for the soul …:

“…in people with sound hearts and minds there is always an end to the tears and hysteria, if not to the sorrow” … “‘I have been so stupid. I have been so arrogant. I thought I … knew everything, could do everything, could … control everyone. Now I find I can’t even control myself!’” … “’Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou has holden me by my right hand.’” … “’I wanted so badly to be strong, but instead I became – headstrong, instead of … heart-strong.’” (pages 302 and 303)

I’m not sure if these simple words speak to anyone’s life, but they jumped off the page and hit my spirit … especially the “headstrong” vs. the “heart-strong” comparison. There isn’t any other comparison that speaks directly to sum up my life and ministry. In any particular situation I had a tendency to go into it with my heart in the right place, my purpose well thought out and my Kingdom priorities properly laid out before me, but always … and I mean always … I allowed my head to take over … take no prisoners philosophy … win at all cost. If only I had a chance to do it all over again this time it would be different! But would it really be different? So I simply pass on this “wisdom” so that others who follow can get it right in their relationships and in their ministry.

Being lead by the heart is good … being controlled by the head isn’t. It is usually the head that tries to control others and/or the situation … the outcome. As the character Dr. Cheney Duvall states above, “I can’t even control myself!” When I become angry it is because I’ve lost control of the situation and myself … and it isn’t pretty.

Are you a head or heart type of person? Do you try to control everyone and everything? Strength is found in surrender not in victory – surrendering to the desires of the Kingdom and the King while allowing others – even our children – to be successful or to fail.

Since reading this novel – actually since full retirement – I’ve been evaluating my hearts condition. I would highly recommend the process. I pray that freedom from guilt and self-conscious regret will be the final gift of grace from the Savior ... that the "tears ... sorrow" will end. Come join the journey!

Quote for today: Heart is used in Scripture as the most comprehensive term for the authentic person. It is the part of our being where we desire, deliberate, and decide. It has been described as "the place of conscious and decisive spiritual activity," "the comprehensive term for a person as a whole; his feelings, desires, passions, thought, understanding and will," and "the center of a person. The place to which God turns." J. Stowell

No comments:

Post a Comment