Thursday, June 17, 2010

Our strength is a gift

In the novel, Toward the Sunrising, by Lynn and Gilbert Morris there are these two quotes which spoke to my spiritual journey: “Your body is very strong, and by that you will know that a heart strong in love and generosity will never wither and grow bitter and full of grief.” … “For the Lord has shown me now that your body will be strong, and hard, and muscled, even until the day you die, and it is His reminder to you that your strength comes from Him.” (page 47)

The Bible speaks of the body as a temple – calling us to be careful as to what we put on and what we consume for it is a holy shrine unto the Lord. But, like the novel’s reminder, have we ever really stopped to consider that what we have is really a gift. What talents we have are a gift? What mental capacity we have is a gift? Our physical strength and agility is a gift?

And then, place it within the context that the giver of these marvelous gifts comes to visit our home on a regular basis … shouldn’t we have the gifts displayed to the best of our ability? I would hate to a have an expensive gift given to me and then have the giver find the gift simply thrown aside … ill kept … rarely used … mistreated … even abused. While it would speak volumes about the gift is actually speaks louder about what we think of the giver. Doesn’t it?

I can remember a physical education coach stating more than once … “Take care of your bodies, they have to last a life time!” We would all laugh, but he was dead serious. If we don’t treat our bodies well now they won’t treat us well later. That’s a reality. I’ve often wondered how many residences of nursing homes would actually be there if they simply had eaten more balanced meals, exercised regularly and used their mental capacity more often.

I think of Herbert M. who was in one of my churches. We were literally blown out of the water when we learned how old her was … but he followed a regular routine. Or, the 100 plus individuals recognized by Willard Scott and how often he mentions how active they are.

Now I would grant you that some of it has to do with genes. Some people are just born with better genes than others – they can eat anything and as much as they wish, as well as never exercise one iota and they are healthy … it is simply not fair, is it? But for most of us there is a need to follow the instructions for a healthy lifestyle so that we can have a healthy life. After all, our strength is from God and to God we owe all honor and praise.

This is not my soapbox and I do not subscribe to the concept, “if it taste good spit it out!” But the novel’s concept has gotten me thinking down that path simply because I take my body for granted and just kind of expect it to always do what I ask it to do. Now that I’m getting older and my joints are sorer than they have been maybe … just maybe I ought to start following what I know to be good for me!

Care to join me?

Quote for today: The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like and do what you'd rather not. Mark Twain.

No comments:

Post a Comment