Sunday, January 10, 2010

Way do we need God?

Timothy Wayne was maybe 4 years old. He was playing with his blocks on the floor of our family room, trying to build a tall tower. Success eluded him. Each time he got to a certain level the tower would come tumbling down. After observing him go through this painful process several times I, as the ever-helpful daddy, came to his rescue. Getting down on the floor I declared with confidence, “Here Tim let me help you!” Tim’s strong response was, “I do it myself.”

Therein lays the human predicament … the “I-Do-It-Myself” mindset. We learn it as a mere toddler then grow-up and have a relapse. Boy, have I relapsed! With a slight case of misplaced confidence and ill-advised insertion of self-assertiveness each of us seek to be independent … to go it alone ... after all, who really needs God; after all isn’t this MY life?

Want to hear what Jesus said? “… for apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5 NAB) or, a translation/paraphrase that I prefer: “When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can’t produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire.” (John 15:5-6 The Message)... OUCH!

So there it is – the two choices of life; a confrontation faced with every decision – major or minor … to do it ourselves OR unite with God through Jesus Christ empowered by the Holy Spirit … doing it His way. The Creating, Eternal, Everlasting Daddy gets down on our level saying, “Here, let me help you!” Hmmm, and our response – my response - is …?

Quote for today: “This joy that I have – the world didn’t give it; the world can’t take it away.” Shirley Caesar

No comments:

Post a Comment