Friday, January 15, 2010

"Invictus" and some memories

While pastor of First United Methodist Church, Gainesville, Florida there came into our fellowship Dr. and Mrs. Brytenbach (Jaco and Wilma) and their children. They had come from South Africa where Jaco was a professor at the university in Potchefstrom. He was on a year sabbatical and enrolled at the University of Florida for guided study and research. Why did they pick First Church to attend? We had a kindergarten and early childhood program. They wanted their youngest son to interact with American children his own age. It was an interesting experience for everyone since he did not speak any English when he first started.

Looking at America through their eyes was extremely interesting. Just one illustration to make my point: The way we celebrated Christmas was totally foreign to their experience. In Africa December was a time for holiday (vacations) to the sea shore since it was during their summer. The decorating of homes and Christmas trees was not a general practice in their home country.

As their time grew shorter to be with us in Gainesville I invited them to address our Wednesday evening Bible study about life in South Africa. During the Q & A they were asked about the changes after Apartheid. Wilma shared that they lost about half of their yearly income, “but that was a small price for the freedom of a whole people.” This dynamic and loving family opened our eyes and our understanding to a part of the world which was so far away from our comfortable existence in America.

This afternoon their words were brought back to me as I viewed the movie INVICTUS staring Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela and Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar, the captain of South Africa’s Rugby team. I would strongly recommend and encourage everyone to see this movie. The story is based on true events in President Mandela’s attempt to bring unity to the new, but racially divided country of South Africa. The country wanted a leader, he gave them a champion.

Quote for today is the poem that sustained Nelson Mandela during his long years in prison:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

No comments:

Post a Comment