Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dealing with painful memories

What would you give to be able to start again? To be freed from your past mistakes? To have a fresh start at life … without having to go all the way back to the beginning and face the same challenges all over again faced?

This is one of those emotional and mental struggles for which I search for a solid answer that lasts more than just a day or two. I don’t know about anyone else’s personal struggle, but I do know – painfully – of my own. It includes being haunted with thoughts of events that occurred more than 50plus years ago. Just when I am confident that I’ve moved on, bingo the memory reemerges and the cycle begins all over again.

Am I the only one fighting these demons? It is one thing to say, “You have to just move on” and another thing to actually do it.

Louisa Tarkington addresses this very reality, giving breath to my very thoughts, when she wrote:
I wish there were some wonderful place called the Land of Beginning Again,
Where all of our past mistakes and heartaches,
And all of our poor selfish grief,
Could be dropped like a shabby old coat at the door
And never be put on again.


Carlo Carretto states, “Christ has freed us from that past with its infinite complexities.” (page 57, “The God Who Comes”) Therefore, we need (I need) to be reminded as to just how often in the Gospels Jesus shares, “You heard it said … but I say!” and truly believe that God has the final word in all matters related to life, death and painful memories.

Quote for today: “Don’t let success go to your head – and if you fail, don’t let failure go there either.” Jane Seabrook and Ashleigh Brilliant

No comments:

Post a Comment