Monday, January 18, 2010

Beware of those sowing seeds of discontent

Harvey S. was an interesting member of a church I once served. I could go into a meeting pretty sure which side various members of the board, council or committee would be on when a particular issue was discussed. Harvey always surprised me. He would listen and depending on the discussion would change his vote, but not in a way that one would anticipate. The vote invariably would be 99 to 1 with Harvey always casting that singular dissenting vote. “Why,” I asked? “Well, preacher,” he shared, “I don’t think anything should pass unanimously.”

I thought about old Harvey, long since having entered into his eternal reward, recently as I tried to remember which senator stated, back in the 1950’s, that whenever a particular bill passed strictly along party lines it said more about the parties involved than it did about the bill itself. I continue to be deeply disturbed as members of the Senate and the House of Representatives dig ever deeper trenches. Are they really leading our nation or simply looking out for their party’s interest? Maybe the spirit of old Harvey is haunting their chambers.

And then there is the Internet … my, my, my what a powerful tool both for good and for evil. Who was it that said, “Beware of those who sow seeds of discontent?” Over the years, regardless of who occupied the White House, there have been people creating false e-mails attacking the President and/or our other elected officials ... sowing seeds of discontent! When I asked why they forwarded these messages of hate, prejudice and judgment they usually responded with, “I am just trying to wake you up to see reality before it is too late for America.”

Further, there is the biblical issue of “bearing false witness.” How do you define gossip? I’ve always been taught by my parents, teachers and mentors that gossip is anything negative said about another individual regardless if it was true or false.

I believe that it is time for all people Jews, Christians, Muslims, Buddhist, Atheists, Hindus, etc. to unite and stop this foolishness of hate, prejudice and judgment. Each of us needs to stop “sowing seeds of discontent.” All it is doing is dividing us even further. It is time to remember that we either stand strong together or we fall as individuals or as small little angry groups.

Quote for today: “Keep your fears to yourself; share your courage with others.” Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment