Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sins are like weeds growing in the soil of our soul

Here are 10 things I learned from the weeds I pulled recently from my yard!

1) All weeds are not the same.
2) Some weeds come out easily.
3) Some weeds are stubborn with deep roots.
4) Some weeds twine their roots around the things you want to keep – maybe they think that by association I would leave them alone.
5) Some weeds stand up tall and get easily noticed.
6) Some weeds try to hide among the leaves and mulch.
7) Some weeds can be easily removed when they are just starting out, but become extremely difficult later on as they grow.
8) No matter how hard you try you will always miss some.
9) It doesn’t take to long for weeds to take over a flowerbed if left alone.
10) Weeding is a constant, daily chore.

Sins are like weeds – some are small and easily handled; some seemingly go on forever no matter how hard we work at getting rid of them; some have “roots” which go very deep into the “soil” of our hearts/lives and are very painful to remove; just when we think we have the “garden” of our soul cleaned out there is a new crop of sin to deal with; and dealing with sin in our lives is a daily … hourly … second-by-second task.

Dear Lord, stand guard at the door of my soul so no sin will take root. Please alert me when a “sin-seed” enters so I can get rid of it quickly. Thank you for helping “weed” my spirit. Amen.

Quote for today: Man, reading about an "eat-all-you-want" diet, to friend: "I knew there'd be a catch to it. You have to run seven hundred miles a day!" Hoest

1 comment: