Friday, November 19, 2010

It is a heart issue not a possession question

From my perspective one of the most powerful line in scripture is the one found in Matthew 6:21, “It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being” (The Message) because it tells the full reality of our life here on Earth. It is easy to give “mouth” service to the Lord … saying one thing, but doing another … and yet, it is obvious to all those who witness our lifestyle and the care that we give to our possessions where our true loyalty lies. Maybe that is what the major of Jesus’ teachings deals with the whole issue of stewardship – the process of deciding what we are going to keep and what we are going to decided to give away. We don’t own our possessions they own us.

It’s an old story as can be seen in the dollar amounts used. Actually, I have shared it with every congregation that I served since 1972 and the story had already been around for a while …but you know me, I never pass up the opportunity to pass on a good story.

Those who have heard me preach/teach soon discover that if an old story/joke will work … even if I have already used it previously … I will tell it again. I got this from the great preacher, Dr. Charles Allen, who was known for reusing a story 6 or 7 times in a row stating, “If it works, why not!”

Now for my “old” story:

I work for the Department of Internal Revenue. Yes, I am the chap that everybody loathes. I go over income tax returns. The other day I checked an odd return. Some guy with an income under $5,000 claimed that he gave $624 to some church. Sure he was within the 15% limit … but it looked mighty suspicious to me. So I dropped in on the guy. Asked him about his contributions.

I thought he’d get nervous like most of them do, and say that he “might have made a mistake.” But not this guy! He came back at me with the figure of $624 without batting an eyelash. “Do you have a receipt from the church?” I asked, figuring that would make him squirm.

“Sure,” he said, “I always drop them in the drawer where I keep my envelopes.” So off he went to fetch his receipts … Well, he had me! One look at the receipts and I knew he was on the level. So I apologized for bothering him, explaining that I have to check up on the deductions that seem unusually high. And as we shock hands at the door, he said, “I’d like to invite you to attend our church some time.”

“Thanks,” I replied, “but I belong to a church myself.”

“Excuse me,” he said, “that possibility had not occurred to me.” As I rode home I kept wondering what he meant by that last remark. It was not until Sunday morning, when I dropped my usual dollar into the collection plate, that it came to me …”

Interesting story … wouldn’t you agree! I don’t know where I got it or who authored it. If you could see my “files” you would probably wonder how I can find anything … so when a story surfaces (actually, works its way to the top of the “heap”) I take notice. Maybe God is trying to tell me something and, in turn, to share it with you.

Over the years I have heard a ton of “excuses” why people do not give more to the church. The most hilarious one was, “Sorry, preacher, we cannot give more because we support the church up north.” It became “hilarious” when I was invited to preach for the church up north and shared with their pastor that he ought to be thrilled with the financial committed of his summer people. He laughed because what they were telling him was, “Sorry, preacher, we cannot give more because we support the church down south.” After we stopped laughing, we cried.

Some of the other excuses given have been: “We are just getting started as a husband and wife;” “We are preparing to send our kids to college … or we have children in college … or we are trying to help pay off college loans for our kids;” “I live on a fixed income;” “I give in other ways;” “We support our poor relatives;” etc. The best financial campaign I ever saw was the “No Excuse” campaign – real cute.

It is easy to find reasons not to give or not to increase ones giving. But I like the testimony of one old Ohio farmer said, “Preacher man, I can always find a way to do whatever me and my wife wants to do.” What a testimony! What a faith driven life!

So let me be presumptuous and ask: Do we give a “suspicious” amount to your church? The gift is evidence of a deeper commitment to Christ ... it locates our heart’s location. Will your evidence hold-up in a court of law? What kind of a steward are you of your life and all of your blessings? It is a question of the heart not a question that concerns your treasures. God really doesn’t need your money because God is going to get done what he needs to get done with or without your money … but, God does want your heart more than anything else is this world. The real question is this: What “treasure” is standing in the way of God having our heart?

Quote for today: I place no value on anything I have or may possess, except in relation to the kingdom of God. If anything will advance the interests of the kingdom, it shall be given away or kept, only as by giving or keeping it I shall most promote the glory of Him to whom I owe all my hopes in time or eternity. David Livingstone

No comments:

Post a Comment