Monday, November 22, 2010

In EVERYTHING give thanks

In the sermons yesterday – yes, it is plural since we attend two different churches and heard two different sermons – the concept of living with a thankful heart was approached … same idea, but two entirely different approaches. They did remind me that several years ago I preached a sermon about making a list of those things for which we were thankful wherein I suggested that we should include the thorny and hard things of life … that surprised the congregation and caused us all to pause to wonder if we really wanted to include those “thorny and hard things” on our thankful list.

Actually, my thought process on this subject had begun many years earlier when I was the associate pastor under a charismatic senior preacher. Apart of his teachings was that in all things we should give God praise. Ephesians 5:20 reads, “always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” or from The Message, “Sing praises over everything, any excuse for a song to God the Father in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ.” And, so we had people, who were big followers of his particular theological approach to life going around thanking God for toothaches, headaches, broken arms, etc. I thought I had been assigned to a nut house especially in light of our son fighting for his life against a cancer that would eventually take his life. I like praising God and offering up our thanks, but for the bad stuff too? … the thorny and hard things also? God knew what he was doing and I as under assignment to be these “crazy” peoples pastor as well as the senior pastor so I hitched up my belt another notch and dove in to take another long thoughtful look at this idea of praising God for all things in life – the good and the bad.

In my search I came across a little story with some insight added on that helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, the author’s name wasn’t included with the story, but I am immeasurably thankful for whoever wrote it. It couldn’t have come at a better time, as is true for all of God’s timing on all issues. His timing is always perfect. So, here is the story this Thanksgiving season. May we all be able to give thanks for what we see as God’s blessings, as well as for those things that we would not necessarily place on the “thankful list” as we sit around our food laden tables this Thursday and share what we are thankful for.

THE BUTTERFLY AND THE FLOWER

Once there was a man who asked God for a flower and a butterfly. But instead God gave him a cactus and a caterpillar.

The man was sad; he didn’t understand why his request was mistaken. Then he thought: Oh well, God has too many people to care for and decided not to question.

After some time, the man went to check up on his request that he had left forgotten. To his surprise, from the thorny and ugly cactus a beauty flower had grown. And the unsightly caterpillar had been transformed into the most beautiful butterfly.

God always does things right! His way is ALWAYS the best way even if to us it seems wrong. If you asked God for one thing and received another, TRUST. You can always be sure that He always gives you what you need at the appropriate time.

What you want is not always what you need. God never fails to grant our petitions, so keep on going for Him with out doubting or murmuring.

Today’s THORN … is tomorrow’s FLOWER!

God gives the very best to those who leave the choices up to Him!

Each and every experience in life comes to bless us, makes us stronger and prepares us for the future that is coming our direction. In ALL THINGS give praise to God … All things! While it truly might be difficult while we are in the middle of going through the thorny and hard times of life, nevertheless God will see you through it. If you believe that God is truly in charge then, as the little popular phrase states: “If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it” and we are actually better off for the experience.

I don't want to trivialize painful experiences nor suggest that God in some way has caused these thorny times to occur because neither of these ideas are not even close to my theology of God and his caring mercy. Pain is deep and long lasting, I know because I've been there, but as the Psalmist states, "joy comes in the morning" and there is a brighter tomorrow ... a flower will bloom and a butterfly will brighten the morning.

Gracious Lord, help me to appreciate all things which come into my life – the good and the bad. Help me to celebrate the good and learn from the painful. All to the end that I might serve you better. Amen!

Quote for today: Two men were walking through a field one day when they spotted an enraged bull. Instantly they darted toward the nearest fence. The storming bull followed in hot pursuit, and it was soon apparent they wouldn't make it. Terrified, the one shouted to the other, "Put up a prayer, John. We're in for it!" John answered, "I can't. I've never made a public prayer in my life." "But you must!" implored his companion. "The bull is catching up to us." "All right," panted John, "I'll say the only prayer I know, the one my father used to repeat at the table: 'O Lord, for what we are about to receive, make us truly thankful.'" Source Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment