Friday, July 9, 2010

Seizing the day in the face of tribulation

Strength in times of tribulation is an old theme both in hymnology and sermons. The hymn, Stand By Me, comes to mind. The first verse reads: When the storms of life are raging, stand by me; when the storms of life are raging, stand by me. When the world is tossing me, like a ship upon the see, thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me.

The other verses speak of “in the midst of tribulation,” “in the midst of faults and failures,” “in the midst of persecution,” and “when I’m growing old and feeble.” The old hymn reflects the story out of the Gospels (Matthew 8:23-27) about a time when Jesus and his disciples were in a boat and a furious storm came suddenly upon them. The waves were high and the boat was about to be swamped, but Jesus was asleep in the bow. Out of fear they woke Jesus with the exclamation, “Lord save us, we are about to drown!” Jesus awakes and calms the sea.

As we seek to seize the day this is a valuable lesson to remember.

When death comes to visit our loved ones … stand by me!
When cancer threatens our life … stand by me!
When it is learned that your spouse of many years is having an affair … stand by me!
When a job is lost, benefits are taken away, bills go unpaid … stand by me!
When a rush to the emergency room is required … stand by me!
When faced with an operations … stand by me!
When the ability to see or hear begin to fade … stand by me!
When the stress of living becomes just too much to bear … stand by me!
When mean and unkind things are said about us … stand by me!
When angry words, hateful, mean spirited words are leveled at us … stand by me!
When lies are spread about us … stand by me!
When our integrity is placed in question … stand by me!

In all of life’s ebbs and flows this one thing remember … that Jesus is in the boat with you in the middle of the storm – asleep, because he knows the one who has the ultimate authority over the storm and everything that can threaten to capsize the boat … our life. Jesus has confidence not in the strength of the boat nor is he fearful of the violence of the menacing storm. Rather his faith is to be found in his relationship with God. He knows that when all else fails and others flee God and God alone will stand by him and thus, he seizes the day … and so shall we … regardless of what today might bring!

Quote for today from an unknown source:
Trust Him when dark doubts assail thee,
Trust Him when thy strength is small,
Trust Him when to simply trust Him
Seems the hardest thing of all.
Trust Him, He is ever faithful,
Trust Him, for his will is best,
Trust Him, for the heart of Jesus
Is the only place of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment