Thursday, July 22, 2010

Running the race

Watching le Tour de France – especially the effort being given for the yellow jersey – I’ve been impressed by the team effort, especially in the mountain stages. One or more team members will literally sacrifice themselves, muscles burning, until they simply cannot pedal any more and must fall of the lead. Why do they make such a horrific sacrifice so that their team leader can win? They don’t do it for their own glory, but for the glory of the team and their team leader. They might never stand on top of the podium because that is not why they are a member of the team. They are on the team because of their strength in one aspect or more of the entire race … and it is for the victory of the team leader and when the team leader wins everybody on the team wins … they get the prize of their team’s victory.

We live in a period of time when it is all about the individual. We all want the glory. We all want to be the center of attention. We all want to be the winner. We are always asking the question, “What is in it for me?” Volunteers demand and expect a very specific job description prior to getting involved. Instead of realizing the satisfaction that the “team” is the ultimate winner and if the “team” wins then everybody wins. It seems to me that our focus is all wrong. We have much to learn from those racing in le Tour de France.

The ultimate question is, “Am I willing to sacrifice my self so that the team might win?” Am I willing to go that second mile, give that extra moment of energy, not looking at the prize for myself, but so that someone else might stand on the podium, be recognized and receive the recognition? Just what is my motivation in doing what I am doing? Why has God placed me in my situation at this particular moment in life? What gifts and graces do I have that can be used to His glory and further the Kingdom of God? How can I be of service to the team Human?

Quote for today: There are no victories at discount prices. General Dwight Eisenhower

No comments:

Post a Comment