Monday, August 8, 2011

Missing the journey because of fear

“There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life - fear of death, fear of judgment - is one not yet fully formed in love.” I John 4:18 (The Message)

The story is told of a young man who became a part of Columbus’ crew. He had worked as an apprentice to the shoemaker in his village and planned to take his place when the shoemaker passed away. During the voyage he was so fearful that the shoemaker would die while he was gone and he would be replaced by someone else that he never knew the greatness of the adventured he shared.

This little story got me thinking about how many great adventures I might have missed because I was griped by fear, terrified to take the risk, to appreciate the moment.

How often do opportunities like crewing with Columbus actually come our way? How many times do we miss those special opportunities, the once in a lifetime chances simply because our focus is on the mundane, the everyday, the drudgery of the moment, the tasks at hand?

Or as Max Lucado shares in his book, God Came Near, “We live in an art gallery of divine creativity and yet are content to gaze only at the carpet.” (page 42)

Help me, Eternal Lord, to seize the day, to open myself to those God given moments that are housed in each day. Help me to break the chains that can hold me back and anchor me, in fear, to things that really don’t matter in the full spectrum of your Kingdom. In the name of freedom, Jesus Christ himself. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment