Tuesday, June 28, 2011

In celebration of Daughters' Week

This is DAUGHTERS' WEEK. I count among my many blessings the gift of two precious daughters. While they are now adults and one a mother herself to a daughter and a son, nevertheless there is a part of me that still looks upon them – much to their chagrin – as my little girls. I want to protect them, keep them from harm, guide them away from painful situations, establish a wall of protection around them all while celebrating their successes and future.

Have I always been a good father? Absolutely not. I would be the greatest of fools if I dared believe that. Would they be willing share my many failings? Absolutely, but only in the presence of select company. I could have only wished that I could have been a better parent, but you cannot turn back the clock. Did I make the best decisions based on the information that I had been given and the skill level that I had acquired? I believe I did, most parents do.

There are many fond memories of our Friday Family Nights, vacations to the Great Smoky Mountains, playing one of the many board games and Saturday morning Chocolate Chip Pancakes. There were trips to Disney, Busch Gardens, and Kings Dominion. There were tubing trips down a very cold springs, as well as dance and piano and violin recitals.

And so, I celebrate Daughters' Week with a glad heart for the two gifts from God that illustrate for me on a continuing bases the reality of his grace and mercy!

Here are some quotes about daughters that you might find special … especially if your life has been blessed by a daughter.

To a father growing old nothing is dearer than a daughter. ~Euripides

A daughter is a gift of love. ~Author Unknown

A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter all of her life. ~Irish Saying

Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express. ~Joseph Addison

Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla. ~Jim Bishop

A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart. ~Author Unknown

A mother's treasure is her daughter. ~Catherine Pulsifer

A daughter is a little girl who grows up to be a friend. ~Author Unknown

A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future. ~Author Unknown

A daughter is a day brightener and a heart warmer. ~Author Unknown

He that would the daughter win, must with the mother first begin. ~English Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment