Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas is for children ... and we all should become childlike again!

I like Christmas … no that’s not correct … I LOVE Christmas. It is my favorite time of the year. There isn’t anything about this glorious season that I don’t enjoy – even the crowded malls and the “business” of it all or should I say, the “busyness” of it all. Oh, I must admit that I think that certain stores “push” the agenda just a little with their Christmas decorations and displays going up right after the 4th of July.

If it is true, as some have said, that Christmas is for kids – then I must be the biggest kid around. I love the excitement, the decorations, the buying and receiving gifts, the special stuff from the kitchen, the friends, and the music – you name it, I love it all. Bring it ALL on!!!

A few years ago, one of my favorite cartoons, “The Family Circus,” had one of the little children opening the front door, after it had just snowed, saying, “Oh, look, God gift wrapped the world!”

Isn’t this what Christmas is all about? Celebrating the reality that in Jesus Christ God is gift-wrapping the world in love and grace.

It is a magical moment. A time in history that changed the course of human history – your history – my history … forever! An eternal moment wrapped up in the fragile little baby boy lying in a manger.

To be honest, I think those who see Christmas as a time for kids haven’t really been touched by the power of the Christ. It is either that, or the fact that they have lost touch with their inner child.

Scripture states that unless we become like a child we cannot enter the kingdom of God (Luke 18:17). There is a difference between “child like” and “childish.” God is calling us to be “child like.” “Child like” sees the wonder of it all. “Child like” is surprised by new discoveries. “Child like” embraces life with joy. “Child like” shares the exuberance of living. “Child like” means that you can see snow and not think of being cold, wet or the work of shoveling – you see it rather as “God gift wrapping the world.”

When Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede was open in Orlando she would run a November/December TV commercial wherein she would say, “Christmas brings out the child in all of us.” Well, friends, I sure hope so because if it doesn’t there is much we are going to miss.

When I a senior pastor I would normally ask the children and youth to lead us in the celebration of lighting the candles of the Advent Wreath because they would bring a certain wonderment and excitement to the lighting that adults would often miss. Maybe, just maybe, we will once again discover the child in ourselves and in turn, make the greater discovery of the magical time in life called Christmas.

Quote for today: Two women who were having lunch in an elegant hotel were approached by a mutual friend who asked the occasion for the meal. One lady replied, "We are celebrating the birth of my baby boy." "But where is he?" inquired the friend. "Oh," said the mother, "you didn't think I'd bring him, did you?" What a picture of the way the world treats Jesus at Christmas. ~Source unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment