Friday, September 10, 2010

Remembering one of God's servants

The Rev. Dr. Harold Buell’s memorial service was held yesterday at First United Methodist Church, Lakeland, FL. Dr. Buell was my first district superintendent as I began my journey as a minister in the Florida Annual Conference. Those speaking at his service were individuals who had been involved in his ministry over the years. They each spoke of a man of integrity, a Kingdom servant, a husband, father and grandfather, a humble and quiet person who simply went about his life with the assurance that he was doing what God had placed him here on earth to do.

As his wife, Jean, had shared, Harold was always curious as to what was over the next hill. As a young man he traveled throughout the United States via the thumb method. It was a safe mode of transportation back then. His curiosity would also take him, and his young family, to India as a teaching missionary where, much to the surprise of everyone – including his closets friends – he interviewed Gandhi. Harold never spoke about his own achievements because he was comfortable in his own skin.

His travels would also take him, and his family, throughout South America and then over to South Africa where he spoke at numerous black township churches. While in South Africa he was asked to speak on their national radio, but since he would have had to submit his manuscript prior to the broadcast for editing, he kindly refused the offer. Harold was a man of deep integrity.

Harold also had a very dry, quiet sense of humor … the kind that simply surprised you when you were least expecting it because it was always shared with a straight face. As an example I offer a conversation that he and I had during my first Pastor’s School experience. I had been assigned to room with Walter and Gene, two brothers who were notorious because of their snoring. One would bring in the train and the other would take it out! That first night I didn’t get much sleep. Harold made the observation concerning my lack of sleep. I sought his advice as to what to do since I didn’t wish to offend Walter or Gene, but I did need to get some rest. Harold deadpanned that the solution was simple, as they get into bed just slip over and kiss both of them squarely on the mouth and then go to sleep. They will stay awake the rest of the night wondering what you are going to do next.

Dr. Buell was a quiet man. This was something that everybody knew about him, but we didn’t really know just how quiet he was until Dr. Ray Finklea, a former district superintendent and one of Harold’s associates, shared that within the cabinet Harold’s nickname was “Gabby,” because he talked so little. Ray went on to share that when Harold did speak you listened because whatever he had to share was going to be profound and well thought out. Dr. Buell was a man of integrity and a true curiosity about his world.

As I stood in the large narthex of that historical church, waiting my turn to speak with his family, I looked out over the crowd of fellow colleagues, as well as friends and members of the family and I began to wonder as to who would speak at my memorial service, what will they share and who, if any, would attend the service. As a general rule we seldom, if ever, contemplate our own end of life and how we will be remembered. We simply go through life doing the best that we know how to do, but I would submit to you that it can cause one to pause to evaluate one’s life and the footprint that is being left. It actually was a good exercise for me. I had an hour and a half ride home to think it all through. It is a rather humbling exercise, one that I would highly recommend.

May we all be remembered and revered as God’s servant Harold Buell was yesterday. May we all deposit memories in the emotional banks of our friends and family to celebrate. May we all leave a legacy of faith, integrity and intelligence for others to follow. May we all have a long and prosperous life, rich in friends and love. Harold Buell lived such a life and for that I am thankful.

Quote for today: Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today. James Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment