Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Moving forward even with regret

Trying to move forward while looking in the rearview mirror is never a good idea. Trying to live in the present while being swallowed up by regret is a terrible burden to carry. Trying to make sense out of this world while being consumed by decisions made in the past will only destroy the future.

Living in the present and moving forward into the future is a real challenge … at least it is for me. I’m one who is constantly evaluating and regretting the decisions made all the way back to my early teenage years. I wish I could live by the philosophy of life of my youngest daughter … “Forget about it. What is done is done. All that stuff is in the past. You cannot do anything about it so why dwell on it? Get on with your life!”

But those memories … painful memories … still haunt me. I go to sleep with them dancing in my mind and I wake up with them still there. Throughout the day they reemerge when I least expect them. On too many occasions I feel like Terry in the movie, On the Water Front, when he says, “… I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody …” I take great solace in that Mother Teresa had some of the same struggles.

How do you handle your inner demons? What solutions have you found? How do you move on? What works for you?

Quote for today: There, but for me, go I. A New Yorker cartoon

No comments:

Post a Comment