Monday, March 24, 2014

Lent - not a struggle of more faith, but for the courage to act on the faith that I do have. (Psalm 107:42-43)

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 107:42-43 (TM) – larger reading Psalm 107
Good people see this and are glad; bad people are speechless, stopped in their tracks. If you are really wise, you'll think this over - it's time you appreciated God's deep love.

STORY:
I used this story in a recent sermon: A certain medieval monk announced he would be preaching next Sunday evening on "The Love of God." As the shadows fell and the light ceased to come in through the cathedral windows, the congregation gathered. In the darkness of the altar, the monk lighted a candle and carried it to the crucifix. First of all, he illumined the crown of thorns, next, the two wounded hands, then the marks of the spear wound. In the hush that fell, he blew out the candle and left the chancel. There was nothing else to say.

OBSERVATION:
Our present spiritual state is not necessarily a lack of faith, but rather a lack of courage to act on the faith we have. At least that is the area of growth for me this Lenten season.

Truthfully, we already have more faith than we know what to do with. Like the gentlemen in scripture who declared: “I believe, help thou my unbelief.” (Mark 9:24)

The gnawing question that is eating at my soul is this: What would I do if I knew that I would not fail? And corresponding to that is the companion question: What would I attempt to do for the Kingdom of God if I only had the courage to step out in faith?

Two good questions neither of which are easily answered… nor should they be. Anything of deep spiritual benefit should cause us to struggle… I mean really struggle as Jesus did in the Garden where his sweat was like great drops of blood. Painfully, I’ve never gone that far always seeking the path of lease resistance resulting in a weakened spirit.

So this Lent I struggle with this courage issue and my lack of sleep bares testimony to the reality of the struggle. The steps in the right direction are to fully and completely appreciate the love of God which simply prompts me to move deeper into this spiritual arena.

PRAYER:

Help me to come to grips with the truth that it isn’t a faith issue but a courage issue… and then do not allow me to find rest until it is resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment