Saturday, November 19, 2011

With a full heart, Psalm 9:1 with a story from the 1860s and a lesson from a shut-in

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 9:1 (The Message)
I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders.

A STORY:
Thankfulness seems to be a lost art today. Warren Wiersby illustrated this problem in his commentary on Colossians. He told about a ministerial student in Evanston, Illinois, who was part of a life-saving squad. In 1860, a ship went aground on the shore of Lake Michigan near Evanston, and Edward Spencer waded again and again into the frigid waters to rescue 17 passengers. In the process, his health was permanently damaged. Some years later at his funeral, it was noted that not one of the people he rescued ever thanked him.

AN OBSERVATION:
The Psalmist expresses his continued thanks realize that everything that is a part of his life is from God … everything! In fact, I am taken by the idea of a “writing the book” about all the wonders that God has and is doing. Our life is just one marvelous act of God – one after another – and like the 17 people in the story, we take it all for granted.

Expressions of a thankful heart are becoming more rare in this day and time. Oh, maybe a quick e-mail note is sent, but little else. Our minds probably thought of offering an expression of gratitude, but we live such busy lives that seldom do we follow through on those thoughts.

Least of all to God for all the marvelous and wonderful things he does.

While visiting a shut-in once I noticed that by her bed was a note pad on which were a long list of penciled in items. She noticed that my eyes had fallen on her pad. She smiled, “Thanks my ‘thank you’ list to God. I’ve been keeping it for years. I started the day I got married over 60 years ago now. Whenever I get a little depressed or start worrying about this or about that, I just pick up my list and remind myself what God has done for me throughout my life. It sure makes living a lot more joyous!” And, this comes from a lady who can never leave her bed or her bedroom. And, she never knows a waking moment without pain.

She had a full heart and was writing her book.

PRAYER:
May we never take you for granted God nor just assume that what is happening in our life is just “normal”. May our hearts always be filled with thanks. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment