Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The positive influences in our lives, Colossians 3:23-24 with a story from the life of Carl Rowan

SCRIPTURE: Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

A STORY:
In his autobiography, Breaking Barriers, syndicated columnist Carl Rowan tells about a teacher who greatly influenced his life. Rowan relates: Miss Thompson reached into her desk drawer and pulled out a piece of paper containing a quote attributed to Chicago architect Daniel Burnham. I listened intently as she read: "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans, aim high in hope and work. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us."

More than 30 years later, I gave a speech in which I said that Frances Thompson had given me a desperately needed belief in myself. A newspaper printed the story, and someone mailed the clipping to my beloved teacher. She wrote me: "You have no idea what that newspaper story meant to me. For years, I endured my brother's arguments that I had wasted my life. That I should have married and had a family. When I read that you gave me credit for helping to launch a marvelous career, I put the clipping in front of my brother. After he'd read it, I said, 'You see, I didn't really waste my life, did I?'"

AN OBSERVATION:
“Whatever (we) do” do it well. Reminds of a statement that was heard often in our home: “If it is worth doing it is worth doing well.” Don’t waste time or effort in just doing something half-heartily. We should throw ourselves into the task at hand is if God is summoned us to that particular task at that particular moment among these particular people. It simply changes the perspective of what is before us … doesn’t it?

And then there are the people who positively influenced our decisions to be doing what we are doing it in the first place. Who are they? Where are they? And, even better, whom have we shared their influence with lately. This Thanksgiving besides thanking God for all of his blessings, praise him for putting people in our lives who made a positive impact and influenced the path our feet have trod. Who are the “Frances Thompson” in our lives?

PRAYER:
Our lives have been filled with important people. Gracious God, all too often we have simply taken those people for granted and moved on, but during this particular season cause us to pause and remember with a thankful heart those individuals who have had a positive influence in our life. Help us to do this in the name of Jesus who calls us into our present reality to do whatever we are called to do well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment