Saturday, July 9, 2011

Some random thoughts

Over the last several weeks there have been some random thoughts bouncing around in my gray matter. Some of them began to touch my spirit and affect my spiritual journey helping to shape it as I move into some new areas of ministry. Non e of these random ideas actually moved beyond just a thought or idea, but I have decided that I will put them into some form and share them with you. Some of these concepts might develop further, but only time will tell on that one. Therefore, today is just a potpourri of fragrances that have filled my spirit.

· CONTEMPORARY WORSHIP – Recently I had a conversation with a dear older friend who has never enjoyed or appreciated contemporary music – too loud, too much of the same words being sung over and over, etc. I’ve heard it all before, nothing new here. It did remind me of something that I read in a worship resource a year ago. It went something like this – if what you are singing this Sunday is the same stuff you were singing 3 to 6 months ago it isn’t contemporary. Contemporary worship should be cutting edge, fresh, exciting and experimental. Interesting idea.

· RECYCLING – As I pulled out of my driveway I noticed that one of my neighbors had two long fluorescent light tubes in their trash can. I wondered if he knew that those tubes should not go to a landfill because they are considered hazardous waste. Then I remembered that my present county makes it rather difficult to drop off hazardous waste material. They have about 2 Saturdays each year for such activities and the hours of operation are very narrow. Doesn’t real encourage one to be more active in recycling hazardous materials. My last county was open every week Monday through Saturday except for holidays.

· PART-TIME PASTORING – Yesterday, I returned home after nearly 7 hours of hospital/home pastoral care – one visit because of a medical procedure, one visit at the VA hospital in St. Pete and one home visit … a part-time schedule? Pastoral Care, as well as sermon preparation cannot be relegated to a part-time calendar. Finding the rhythm has always been difficult. While working as a full-time pastor there were many weeks that a 75-hour week was not unusual so a 40-hour week does seem like a part-time schedule. If it is worth doing it is worth doing well – an old tape that continues to play continuously in my mind.

· TOUR DE FRANCE – Discipline of unbelievable physical demands; teamwork all focused on making it possible for a single rider to win; the planning of each stage rides; the equipment lightweight, strong and durable; support cars with replacement equipment and the ability to do simple maintenance while the car and the cyclist continues to move forward; coordination of rider and those standing at the feeding stations; and the large crowds that line the roads to cheer on the riders. If only the church could learn the lessons of the Tour de France!

· MARK CAVENDISH – When people start talking of their heritage I always like to throw mine out and watch people turn with big question marks on their faces. I’m a Manx and proud of it! My maternal grandmother came to the United States from the Isle of Man, a little known island off the coast of England. I would challenge anyone to see if they can discover someone from the Isle of Man (a Manx). It could be very hard because very few leave the Isle. Mr. Cavendish, a participant in the Tour de France, is from the Isle of Man and will probably go down as one of the best sprinters ever. Yeah, Mark! A visit to this beautiful Isle is on my bucket list.

· E-MAIL FORWARDS – Confession, I was among the guilty parties who did this, but I have changed my ways. I don’t know why people feel that everything that comes into their In-Box should be forwarded on. Oh, there are a couple of real funny, informational and/or inspirational ones that should be passed on, but those are usually in the 5% of all that are forwarded. Beyond those are the ones that should be checked out via snopes.com or some other internet investigative sites to discover if the information in the e-mail is correct or not. Still further, I have let all of my e-mail friends that I neither read nor forward political type of e-mails … something about bearing false witness … at least that is my read on the situation.

· GUILT - Oh, there is one other that just causes me to laugh more than anything else. It is those messages that state that only 1% will forward on a message or “I know that 97% of my Facebook friends won’t repost this message” or “Only my true friends…” or “Only those who really believe will…” and this list goes on. Guilt is an interesting ploy to “make” others to complete your wishes.

Thanks for reading my random thoughts. I’m not sure how they will develop further, but at least now they are out of my mind and down on “paper”.

P.S. One last thought. Mentors of some distinction mentioned to me repeatedly that I needed to focus on my primary responsibility in worship - preaching the Word of God. "Leave the rest of the service to others and allow yourself to recoup your energy so you will be able to give it your best." I use to actively participate in worship, but it would often take its toll on my energy. The older I get the wiser their suggestions. So, the past Sunday I decided to stay seated during the singing of the Praise songs. Someone wrote me a note, "Why didn't our new pastor stand during the singing of 'My Country 'Tis of Thee'. Well, it looks like I need to educate the congregation of my primary priority come Sunday. I pray that they will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment