Monday, July 25, 2011

Running the race to win

“Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!” 1 Corinthians 9:24 (NLV)

The Tour de France is now history. The Yellow, Green, White and Polka Dotted jerseys have all been awarded … or should I say earned … well earned. The winners paid dearly with their effort. The pain was evident in their faces as they rode through burning legs to achieve what few in their sport ever achieve.

Three weeks of unbelievable mountain climbing, sprints to the finish and strategy. Three weeks of working together as a team. Three weeks of extremely hard work so that one member of their team could win a stage or a sprint or be the first over the top of the mountain. Three weeks of long hours on a very small seat. Three weeks of many miles. Three weeks that was a culmination of a lifetime to a sport that is deeply imbedded in their spirit. They are to be admired.

Each year I begin to think that maybe this year I will go out and purchase a bicycle (although not their version - $1,800-plus dollars is a bit much). They inspire me, but a day goes by and then a week and then a month … and at long last the “urge” has passed and I am onto other things like watching college football … yeah, team!

The thought does cross my mind – am I running the race to win? Am I honoring God with how I am running the race of life? Am I putting myself through the tiresome training in order to be fit enough for the ultimate race? Am I prepared to actually get into the race? And, is anyone watching me run the race? Do I inspire them to follow my lead?

Difficult questions for a Monday morning. Difficult questions for which I do not have a ready answer. Difficult questions that I probably will spend the days ahead giving some serious thought to. Difficult questions for a challenging time.

I do think of John Wesley’s observation that God had sent him on fire and people came from all over England to watch him burn! Am I on fire for the Lord? Is anyone watching me burn?

No comments:

Post a Comment