Friday, April 1, 2011

A parent's reflections on the death of your child

Maybe it is because I’ve lost a child. Maybe it is because that lost child was a son. Maybe it is because my heart was broken and life shattered. Maybe it is because I had to learn the hard lesson that life has to go on. There are a lot of “maybes” involved here, but yesterday, sitting in the darken theatre as “The 5th Quarter” rolled across the screen; I was transported back to another time when death came visiting.

I identified with Mr. Abbate. I probably overly identified with the characters because I normally do. Oh, our sons were different ages. Mine was just 4-days from his 9th birthday; Abbate’s was in high school. Mine was just starting to show interest in sports, Abbate’s was a star on the football team. Mine died because of cancer, his died because of a stupid driving decision of a fellow student. But the story took me back to the pain that is so deep that you begin to think that it will never leave. The never ending questions, the “what ifs,” the “if onlys,” the self-doubts, the “was there something that I could have done”. No matter how often you visit these questions and think that they have been put to rest, there will still be a moment in the present when they all come rush back.

A poem was used in telling the Abbate family story. It is by Edgar Guest. Mr. Guest was not a great writer, but he was my mother’s favorite. She had a small red volume of his poems that now rests in my library. Like my mother, I have read the poems in this little book many times. They never failed to bring comfort, calm, insight and understanding to whatever I was facing at the moment. I thought it strange that I didn’t remember this poem.

As the poem was read in the movie – kind of an overlay as the mother was dealing with her grief – I felt the volcanic grief welling up within begin to calm once again and peace return. I offer it here for all parents who are dealing with the grief of losing a child.

To all Parents ~Edgar Guest

"I'll lend you for a while a child of mine," He said.
"For you to love the while he lives and mourn for when he's dead.
It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief,
You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief."

"I cannot promise he will stay; since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn.
I've looked the wide world over in My search for teachers true
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love, not think the labor vain,
Nor hate Me when I come to call to take him back again?"

"I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, Thy will be done!
For all the joy Thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness, we'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay;
But should the angels call for him much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand!"

Quote for today: The death of a child is the single most traumatic event in medicine. To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself. ~Dr. Burton Grebin

4 comments:

  1. I have just watched the movie 5th Quarter for the first time yesterday. I am sitting here watching it piece by piece, pausing it, looking up the music, looking up the poem, that's how I found this.
    My son Scott Walz died needlessly to suicide after 9 years of relentless bullying and the adults doing nothing. My son attempted twice within a couple of days of each other, he was 12 at the time. Despite our desperate efforts, we did EVERYTHING that they ever say to do, we did. It's a long story, 9 years worth. My son attempted again after yet another assault against him by a mentor/friend of the family that Scott loved and adored, he helped us during the toughest times when Scott made his first 2 attempts. Scott fought long and hard to live, but as the adults not only in our school but in the community refused to change things, refused absolutely refused to protect him, my son died on March 4, 2010. We watched our son died a slow death day after day, watching his spirit break more and more until there was no more than we watch his soul blow out like a candle burning too long without attention.
    People say, it's a choice, it was not my son's choice, his choice was to live. I have never seen anyone fight so hard to live as he did.
    So, here I am, watching this movie, reading this poem and reading yet another parent has lost his baby, not just any parent but a parent of faith.
    My son Scott Walz was 3 months from graduating high school, 3 months but he didn't have it the ability to fight anymore but he had the strength despite his pain and despair to help others, show compassion, actually saved some lives because he listened and took "the brunt of it so the scum don't go after the weak or the people I love". My son Scott was 18 when he died. He died alone believing and thinking he was a freak, a creeper and unlovable because that's what he heard for 9 years. He was choked to the point of unconsciousness, tormented, assaulted, mobbed, harassed, socially humiliated, ridiculed and every piece of his being was dissected as the he was a specimen under a microscope. Then, when his abusers found out he was dead, they laughed, they thought it was funny.
    For some reason I was brought here, I read your words, I came here because Google sent me here.
    This poem will be planted in my heart forever.
    Nancy Walz
    Mom of Scott David Walz,
    9/12/91-3/4/10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I personally am on a mission from God to stop bullying and the suicides it causes. God bless you and your family.

      Heather

      Delete
    2. I just read this post...what a tragic story, my heart goes out to you. I lost a son, he was sick when he was born and passed away at just 3.5 months old.

      Bullying has gotten WAY out of control these days, add social media and these numbers sky rocket.

      I am a 46 y/o woman and YES I was a bully in high school. Not nearly as bad as they are in this story, but a bully is a bully by all standards.

      About 13 years ago, I called the mother of the two girls whom I bullied and got their phone numbers. (This was way before Bullying was so public)

      I called each of the girls, through my heartfelt apologies and tears, (many tears I shed that day) I told them just how sorry I was. I didn't do this for them to
      forgive me at all, I did this because I was SO wrong and wanted them both to know it. Both girls forgave me, an unexpected reply...when they did so, I broke down in more tears and felt blessed.

      I just wanted them to know just how important they truly are, back in high school and now. Even though I felt a little better for telling them just how sorry I was, it still haunts me to this day. I can't believe how horrible kids can be & how horrible I WAS to them!

      I now have two girls as well, thankfully they have only endured just a little bit of bullying. (Not that there's a difference between a little bit and a lot, don't get me wrong...bullying is bullying and NEVER the right thing to do) I think every bully needs to take a page out of my book and apologize to those that they have bullied. Not just apologize, but MEAN it.


      I feel blessed that I was forgiven & I know each of the girls have a bigger heart than I. I was/am truly humbled, blessed and loved.


      Delete
    3. oh my heart aches for any parent who has to endure the loss of their child...I love the movie and as I read Nancy Walz's story of her son's daily struggle and his pain winning the war and I pray our blessed father in heaven eases your pain and heals your heart...I will pray for your family and I will now have scott on my mind and in my heart....I pray someone reads this and if they are a bully they find the strength to stop hurting others and see the error of their ways and realize words hurt and harm others. RIP Scott David Walz you were loved and will be greatly missed.

      Delete