Monday, April 4, 2011

Discovering a blind eye to certain people

Last week my soul was troubled … deeply troubled. It continues to amaze me as to how quickly people, even total strangers, can stir my soul and cast oil upon the sea of my spirit. I think that I am optimistic, probably overly optimistic, as people have told me. There is a high level of expectation that I hold out for everyone that I meet … from the automobile repair shop mechanic, to the carpet cleaners, to the sales clerk, to the passing stranger in the pew. I trust everybody and believe that everybody is going to do the right thing.

Illustrations from my life would indicate that every individual couldn’t be trusted and will steal from you or lie to you if given a chance. I refuse to be cynical. I refuse to allow their negative energy to take root in my heart. I just refuse and yet, it continues to creep in when I least expect it, thus, my troubled soul of last week.

It began with a conversation that I had with the president of our homeowners association. The lies or half-truths began last January. Initially I simply passed them off as misspoken thoughts, but the number have grown since then until I finally had to confront her – gently and with concern. No one has ever called her to task or confronted her on any issue and I caught her wrath. This will be a most difficult year if I continue to serve on the board.

Then Friday we were shopping at one of the box department stores. At the food counter a gentleman came up and asked for a glass for some water. He and I ended up walking out of the store at the same time and I noticed that he had filled his cup not with water but with a fountain drink. “Sir,” I said, “I believe that you failed to pay for your drink.” “Mind your own business!” he declared. “If you steal from the store you are stealing from me since I shop here and the prices go up in order to pay for what you do not pay for.” “Oh, go away. Mind your own business.” “So, are you saying that you are a thief?” “No, I was going to pay for if I liked it, but I don’t like it so I am not going to pay for it,” stated the gentleman as he got on his bike. “Well, then, if you don’t like it let me throw it away for you.” I will not print what his next declaration was as he road off into the evening.

I’m sorry, but I don’t like being disappointed by individuals that I know and am supposed to trust nor do I like being disappointed by total strangers! Period – end of story … right? Well, not really … at least not until yesterday morning as the pastor took us to the table of the Lord for communion.

The gospel lesson was from Luke 9:1-11. It is the story of Jesus healing the blind man with a little spit and mud. I began to ask myself where am I blind? To whom am I blind? I don’t see life from the perspective of the president of our homeowners association. Why does she have a need to always be right? Why does she have a need to micro-manage every little detail and every individual who just happens to be in her life? What am I miss here?

And the gentleman at Target … my first thought was that he was simply a homeless individual, but I’ve worked with homeless individuals most of my ministry and he didn’t have any of the characteristics. He was simply an individual trying to get something for nothing. These type of people are all around us, in every store, in every neighborhood. But, somehow I missed something in him … and I missed the opportunity to witness to the love of God for him regardless of his behavior. I simply, in that golden opportunity, turned a blind eye to him and his situation.

Dear Lord, open my eyes that I may see … truly see … the people that you are bringing across my path … open my eyes!

Quote for today: Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances. ~Wayne Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment