Wednesday, August 18, 2010

God speaks ... everywhere

Today’s blog was written by another, Lyn Sawyer and I lifted it from the Retirement Connection e-mail here in the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church. I felt that what she wrote needed to shared. It is entitled, "He Speaks To Me – Everywhere!!”

Sunday I listened to a young man talk about "God everywhere" and for some reason my mind was transported back in time to specific moments when I know He was there and did speak to me in ways that I didn’t really recognize at the time. I am sure I won’t remember all of them and I am also sure that other times will be summoned by what I am writing at any given moment. The first thought is from "long ago and far away" and is something I imagine many kids have done. Often when we had a little time off from "chores", we would find a shady spot in the back yard, lie down flat on our backs and "read" the clouds. It is amazing what they say. Sometimes, there were angels in puffy white garments, reminding us that we were watched over and cared for. I remember one time I was absolutely sure a big furry dog chased away a mean old monster that looked scary even if he was made out of clouds. Maybe I didn’t actually hear the words – but I knew I was safe and cared for, even in a big, scary world.

Then another time I got "elected" to go find three cows that seemed to have forgotten how to find their way home. Remember I grew up on a farm and I was the oldest and a tomboy to boot so who else would get the job. Besides, if I took long enough, maybe the milking would be done by the time I found them. As I climbed up to the pasture above the woods, the sky clouded up and it began to get a little dark. I decided to sing to keep up my courage – that’s why I still know the words to a lot of the old hymns – but at least I had sense enough to stop and listen after I sang each verse. I remember saying, "Lord, please help me find those stupid animals before it gets any darker." You may not believe this, but maybe they were scared too, or maybe they didn’t like my singing. Anyway, with a soft mooing, as if answering my voice, they came stomping through some underbrush and we were on our way home.

He doesn’t just talk to us out in the country either. When I started high school I stayed in town with an aunt and went home week-ends. I remember my aunt always ordered her groceries from the store and usually they were delivered, but one day the kid forgot several items. I was sent scurrying to pick them up before the store closed. As I walked along the street, I remember wondering what life held in store. Being in town, getting used to so many kids in the school, not really feeling like I fit in with the "town kids", and wondering about all the strange new things I had to learn, I felt lost and probably ready to quit and go home. Then, for some reason, I looked up, past the tall, cold, concrete buildings. And there it was! Even in this whole new environment, the "man in the moon" grinned down at me, and the stars were still twinkling cheerfully at me. There was the big dipper and yes, the little dipper too. And right over there was Orion, the hunter, and all the other familiar formations. All I had to do was listen and know that even though I had moved, God had not. He was the same everywhere and yes, He truly did "speak to me everywhere." And He still does. As the years went by, I found myself in many new places and always I found that fact to be true. No matter where we are, we just need to listen and He speaks to us in many, and often amazing, ways.

Well, I guess I need to quit for this time but I have several more events on my list. Perhaps I will tell you a few more another time. Remember – stop, listen, and you may be amazed at what He says.

Quote for today: He who has God and many other things has no more than he who has God alone. C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment