Monday, July 28, 2014

Trying to live a life of praise (Revelation 19:5)

SCRIPTURE: Revelation 19:5 (CEB) – larger reading Revelation 19:1-8
Then a voice went out from the throne and said, "Praise our God, all you his servants, and you who fear him, both small and great."

STORY:
The Duke of Wellington, the British military leader who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, was not an easy man to serve under. He was brilliant, demanding, and not one to shower his subordinates with compliments. Yet even Wellington realized that his methods left something to be desired. In his old age a young lady asked him what, if anything, he would do differently if he had his life to live over again. Wellington thought for a moment, then replied. "I'd give more praise," he said.

OBSERVATION:
Guilty coming and going. Duke of Wellington’s confession could be mine. How about you?

Habits are hard to break, especially the habit of not giving enough praise to others. Praise is different than saying thank you. But even the “thank yous” could be increased as well.

Revelation is talking about praising God. Again, guilty as charged! I feign business and think that I am off the hook. God says: “Really? That’s it?” And I am nailed against the wall.

I’m his servant. I hold him in awe (ie “fear”). I see him active in the small as well as the great … although most of the time the small stuff gets overlooked.

Here is my challenge: To live a life of praise… a life where every breath I take is in praise of God… a life that directs others towards offering up praise… a life honoring God at every step. It is a big step for this old preacher, but hey, God ain’t through with me yet!

PRAYER:
I’m a piece of work. I know that… painfully, I know that – but God keep working on me until I am a finished product!


No comments:

Post a Comment