Monday, May 12, 2014

To live and breathe God (Psalm 34:2)

SCRIPTURE: Psalm 34:2 (TM) – larger reading Psalm 34
I live and breathe God; if things aren't going well, hear this and be happy:

STORY:
The well-known theologian Charles Hodge wrote about his early years at Princeton: "It was my privilege to be the pupil-assistant of Professor Joseph Henry, the illustrious scientist. When, for the first time, electric signals were sent from point to point, the earth itself being used for the return current, Professor Henry put me at one end of the circuit, while he stood directing the experiments at the other. I can well remember the wonderful care with which he arranged them. Very often, when the testing moment came, he would raise his hand in adoring reverence and call upon me to uncover my head and worship in silence. He would say, 'Because God is here, I am about to ask Him a question.'"
OBSERVATION:
It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone, but we have to discipline ourselves to practice the presence of God. So much of our existence is taken for granted. So much of God’s existence is taken for granted. We just go blissfully through our day hardly giving God a second thought.

In the pursuit of knowledge Professor Joseph Henry acknowledged that all answers come from God. Every experiment was simply a question in search of an answer. Now, take this a step further: every breath we take is a request that our life will continue. It is a request to the great breathe giver. May our life continue. May it continue to have importance. May it continue to have meaning and purpose. In good times and in bad, we breathe and move and have our being because of God. Why do we assume that we do this all on our own?

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
fill me with life anew,
that I may love what thou dost love,
and do what thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
until my heart is pure,
until with thee I will one will,
to do and to endure.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
till I am wholly thine,
till all this earthly part of me
glows with thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
so shall I never die,
but live with thee the perfect life
of thine eternity.

PRAYER:

May we never take you for granted Eternal God. May we never take our life for granted. May we never take our next breathe for granted. May we live and breathe you at every step in this journey through this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment