Thursday, February 21, 2013

What shapes our life? (Psalm 119:41)


SCRIPTURE: Psalm 119:41 (TM)
Let your love, God, shape my life with salvation, exactly as you promised

STORY: from Chicken Soup for the Soul -
Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at Stanford Hospital, I got to know a little girl named
Liza who was suffering from a rare and serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a
blood transfusion from her five-year-old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and
had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her
little brother, and asked the boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate
for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, ‘Yes, I’ll do it if it will save Liza.’
“As the transfusion progressed, he lay in a bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing
the color returning to her cheeks. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the
doctor and asked with a trembling voice, ‘Will I start to die right away?’
“Being young, the boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give her all his blood.

OBSERVATION:
A question to contemplate during our Lenten journey: What shapes our life?

The Psalmist speaks of love. It is obvious that the 5-year-old in the Chicken Soup story was shaped by the love for his sister. Could they be the same kind of shaping love?

In my mind they come together as a single whole. As God shapes our life with his love and salvation do we arrive at the place where we are willing to give our very life?

Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my will, and make it thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is thine own; it shall be thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for thee.

PRAYER:
Take us Lord. Take all that we are. Mold us, shape us, use us after your will!

No comments:

Post a Comment