Thursday, July 19, 2012

What does "Sabbath" (Mark 2:27) really mean for us? With a story over the issue of Saturday vs. Sunday and an observation of the practice of some mountain folk.


SCRIPTURE: Mark 2:27 (TM)
Then Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made to serve us; we weren't made to serve the Sabbath.

STORY:
J. Vernon McGee tells this story about a man who wanted to argue about the Sabbath. The man said, "I'll give you $100 if you will show me where the Sabbath day has been changed." McGee answered, "I don't think it has been changed. Saturday is Saturday, it is the seventh say of the week, and it is the Sabbath day. I realize our calendar has been adjusted, and can be off a few days, but we won't even consider that point. The seventh day is still Saturday, and it is still the Sabbath day." He got a gleam in his eye and said, "Then why don't you keep the Sabbath day if it hasn't been changed?" McGee answered, "the DAY hasn't changed, but I have been changed. I've been given a new nature now, I am joined to Christ; I am a part of the new creation. We celebrate the first day because that is the day He rose from the grave."

OBSERVATION:
Does anyone really think that it matters to God which day we honor him … Saturday or Sunday? As long as that we take one day and give it over to the Lord? From God’s perspective it could be a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday. I really don’t think he cares … God just wants our hearts.

While driving through the mountains early in my adult life I noticed that on Saturday evening church after church after church had a parking lot filled with cars. When I made the observation as to what I had seen I was told, “We gather on Saturday evening in a prayer service in preparation to praise him come Sunday morning.” And then the individual went on to ask, “Well, preacher, what do you think those first disciples were doing the day before Easter?”

Maybe those “uneducated” mountain folk had really discovered something. We don’t spend too much time in church, but too little. Remember when “church” meant Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday night?

Here’s a thought for those who promote getting our nation back to God … maybe it is time for us to start spending more time in fellowship, worship and Bible study. Don’t you just believe that somehow God would honor that?

It isn’t about electing certain individuals with a belief system to public office, but it is about our souls position before the Almighty.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, bring us back to having a heart for worship. Bring us back to have a desire to be in your presence. Bring us back to the point that you and you alone are priority #1!

No comments:

Post a Comment