Monday, March 26, 2012

Finishing our journey with our torch still lit - John 19:28, 30 with a story from the Greek's Olympic games, an observation and a prayer.

SCRIPTURE: John 19:28, 30
Jesus said, “I am thirsty….” When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

STORY:
The Greeks had a race in their Olympic games that was unique. The winner was not the runner who finished first. It was the runner who finished with his torch still lit. I want to run all the way with the flame of my torch still lit for Him.

OBSERVATION:
This little statement about the Greeks unique race got me thinking …

First, were the words from Max Lucado: “Final acts. Final hours. Final words. They reflect a life well-lived. So do the last words of our Master. When the edge of death, Jesus, too, got his house in order. A confession of humanity. A cry of completion.” (No Wonder They Call Him the Savior, page 20).

Second … Help me to live as long as I am alive and then help me to die as someone who is ready to live.

Third, I believe it was Mark Twain who said something like this … I’ve met people who died at the age of 40, but who just hung around to until they were 70.

Keeping the torch lit can be difficult, a little challenging.

The question that keeps popping up in my mind is “am I coasting or living?” It is easy to slip into a mind set of taking the path of least resistance, to coast, to do the minimum, to just get by, to cut corners, to take the easy way … but boy, it sure causes the light of our torch to flicker and threaten to go out.

I’m reminded of a statement of a secretary who said, while handing me her letter of resignation, “This is too much like work!” … and she was dead serious.

Life is like work in that we each of a task to do. God has us here on assignment and as long as that assignment hasn’t been completed we should continue to work so that, like Jesus on the cross, we can declare, at the end of our journey, “It is finished” and know that it is!

PRAYER:
Lord, help us to keep our torch lit as long as we are running this race so that when we come to the end of our days we can say with confidence, “It is finished.”

No comments:

Post a Comment